Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Bumps Along the Road to Freedom

We may escape a close encounter with tyranny. As the GOP self-destructs, The Nation declares that Democrats are poised to roll back the excesses of George W. Bush. The battle is won when Democrats retake the government; the war is lost if Democrats fail to restore the republic and the Constitution. We have stared into Nietzche's abyss and saw ourselves! We remain our greatest threat since the 1930s.

Every heroic struggle deserves an equally heroic soundtrack. In 1830, Hector Berlioz orchestrated not a film score --but a life score: La Marseillaise.


Casablanca - Rick´s Bar

The year 1830 was recalled by Hector Berlioz in his memoirs. While he had been two weeks shut up in the Paris Conservatoire writing a cantata, a revolution had broken out.

I was finishing my cantata when the Revolution broke out," "I dashed off the final pages of my orchestral score to the sound of stray bullets coming over the roofs and pattering on the wall outside my window. On the 29th I had finished, and was free to go out and roam about Paris till morning, pistol in hand. A day or two later I was crossing the courtyard of the Palais Royal when I heard a tune I knew well - a dozen or so young men singing a battle hymn of my composition [one of the Neuf Mélodies on texts of Thomas Moore]. Unused as I was to this kind of popularity, the discovery delighted me and I pushed my way through to the circle of singers and requested permission to join them. The audience grew steadily and the space round the little patriotic band got smaller and smaller. We barely escaped, and fled with the crowd streaming behind us till we reached the Galérie Colbert. There a haberdasher asked us up to a second-floor balcony, where we could 'rain down our music on our admirers' without the risk of being suffocated.

We struck up the Marseillaise. Almost at once a holy stillness fell upon the seething mass at our feet. After each refrain there was a profound silence. This is not at all what I had expected. On beholding that vast concourse of people I recalled that I had just arranged Rouget de Lisle's song for double chorus and full orchestra, and that where one normally writes 'tenors and basses' I had written instead 'everyone with a voice, a soul and blood in his veins.' After the fourth verse I could contain myself no longer, and I yelled, 'Confound it all - sing!' The great crowd roared out its Aux armes citoyens! with the power and precision of a trained choir.

--Memoirs of Hector Berlioz on La Marseillaise

Berlioz dedicated his setting of the Marseillaise to the anthem's author, Rouget de Lisle, who, by 1830, was living in indigent retirement in Choisy, on the southern fringes of Paris. The rise in popular democratic zeal surrounding the 1830 Revolt caused a renewed interest in his patriotic hymn, and King Louis-Philippe granted the poet an annual pension of 1500 francs. De Lisle wrote Berlioz a letter of appreciation on December 30, 1830, inviting Berlioz to visit him in Choisy to discuss an unnamed proposal. "I heard later," Berlioz continued in his Memoirs, "that de Lisle - who incidentally wrote many fine songs besides the Marseillaise - had an unpublished libretto on Othello that he wished to offer me. Being obliged to leave Paris on the day after I received this letter [for Rome as prize winner], I sent my apologies and explained that my visit would have to wait until after my return from Italy. The poor man died in the interval. I never met him."

--La Marseillaise - Berlioz

And in historical New Orleans, a reminder that the city's current problems with the Federal Government in Washington are not new.
New Orleans, LA (AHN) - The City Council of New Orleans unanimously voted to demolish 4,500 government-subsidized homes destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, despite overwhelming criticism and riotous protests that included a brawl in the council chamber before the vote.

The 7-member council supported a redevelopment plan of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to replace the C.J. Peete, B.W. Cooper, Lafitte and St. Bernard public housing projects with a mixed-use development that has 744 public housing units. ...

--Update 2: New Orleans City Council Unanimously Votes To Demolish Public Housing, December 20, 2007 7:01 p.m. EST

History, it seems, does repeat itself. Certainly, the battle for "liberte" is not won. In 1917, the government of the United States --the War Department, I believe --imperiously decided that certain parts of New Orleans had no right to exist. Those areas were "shut down", residents forced to relocate. The War Department presided over the destruction of property. I call that tyranny!


Billie Holiday & Louis Armstrong - Farewell to Storyville

The area is known to us as "Storyville" for Alderman Sidney Story, who decreed in 1898 that prostitution should be legal in the area called by locals --"the District". The photographic images of photographer E J Bellocq, circa 1912, are among the few visual records of Storyville that survive. Bellocq, a commercial photographer for shipping companies, is remembered for the "studies" he made of working women in Storyville. His images, at once prurient and artistic, capture perfectly the ambiguity with which the rest of the US regarded New Orleans --a "French city" in America, a city in which the famous French Impressionist Edgar Degas lived for a while and produced important work. He found himself in the middle of post-Civil War politics. New Orleans itself was comfortable "in its own skin" if puritans elsewhere in the South were not.

I have yet to find the legal authority for the Federal Government's closure of Storyville during World War I. The New Orleans City Government protested vigorously to no avail. Nevertheless, with the Storyville's loss segregated "dens of prostitution" emerged around the city. By the 1930s very little remained of famous old mansions along Basin Street, some of the finest structures in the city. It seemed a deliberate effort to erase the very memory of Storyville. Efforts to rename Basin Street "North Saratoga" failed. Today, Basin Street is Basin Street and a classic blues tune bears its name. The video above is from a 1947 film featuring Billie Holiday and Louis Armstrong.









Spread the word:

yahoo icerocket pubsub newsvine

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuzzflash sez...

Another bump on the road to freedom; BushCo's bastardry in the aftermath of Katina. The Big Easy, Crescent City, where the Mississippi River flows like molasses in the summertime, but the milk of human kindness couldn't trickle down to the Superdome when dying American citizens needed it most.
How can the descendants of slaves who were sold in the market place down in New Orleans ever thank you enough, George Walker Bush?

Well, hush my mouth! So sorry, Mister President, I forgot what your momma said on National TV full days five after Katrina struck:

"Oh, well, can't you see!? These people are ALREADY economically disadvantaged."

Yes, Ma'am, sure can see it now.

Anthemic guitar intro from Ry Cooder; Mavis Staples begins to sing….

I was just a little girl
Travellin’ with my Pops
Thrown in jail fer nuthin’
By some southern racist cops
Reverend Martin told us
What needed to be done
And if he can teach it
We can sing it
Help to make the new day come

We took a walk, to D.C.
My heart in the church
I prayed on my childhood
Fix that anger and hurt.
It’s been almost fifty years
How much longer would it last
We need a change
Now more than ever
Why are we still treated so bad?

With my own eyes
Saw it with my own eyes
With my own eyes
So I know it’s true

(The band kicks in: Jim Keltner on drums; Joachim Cooder, percussion; Mike Alizondo, bass. Mavis cuts loose.....)

I saw New Orleans
I saw the people left for dead
I heard every bald-faced lie
You politicians said

I’ve seen it for myself
And you can’t fool yer sight
Well we better make a change
And we better start tonight…….

From 2007 CD “We’ll Never Turn Back”

For Satchmo and Lady Day whose music could melt all but an icy racist heart.

Unknown said...

Anonymous said...

For Satchmo and Lady Day whose music could melt all but an icy racist heart.

Great post, Fuzz. Indeed, America still wages war on the very source of its greatness --expatriate poets, writers, musicians, activists. New Orleans is not a special case. It's just easier to identify geographically. Unless the US changes and joins the global community, it is done for. I am not optimistic given the utter bullshit that passes for debate among the GOP primarily. Democrats are not without blame. They come off sounding naive. I would feel more comfortable with a canny advocate, a wily fox attorney, an alley fighter, a real champion of the people --smart, tough, no bullshit, gimme your best shot!

New Orleans is in danger of becoming "Disneyland". The city survived the "War Department" --as it was called then. It may survive Bush's worst but it will have lost its soul.

New Orleans R.I.P.

Unknown said...

Great post!

Unknown said...

This was a toughie. Though I lived just down the road from "Nawlins" (by Texas standards), I cannot claim to have been an expert. I do remember New Orleans. I remember the music, the oysters, the beignets, and almost every other thing that Houston was not. There were areas of Houston that resemble New Orleans --but Houston, under the thumb of big oil and other mentally constipated republicans, pretended it wasn't there. Fascist cities are easy to recognize: their skylines are a forest of sleek, sterile, butt ugly post modern Enron towers. This kind of architecture is not archtecture at all. It's corporate blight!

Vierotchka said...

Zena said...

Great post!


Great comment! I fully concur.

Mauigirl said...

Great post, very interesting. And what happened to New Orleans is a blot on our country's history forever. I too fear it will become Disneyland (much as Times Square has done here in New York). It's very sad.

Unknown said...

Thanks Mauigirl. I was in New York a couple of years after 911. I hung around the Village, Washington Square Park, lower Manhattan, took a look at "ground zero". Almost equally sad to me was what had happened to Broadway. I'm afraid we'll never have the likes of Oklahoma, The Music Man, Camelot, or The Fantasticks again. In fact, The Fantasticks had already closed by the time I visited. 911 was blamed. Disney, however, bears the responsibility for screwing up Broadway.